My body has traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

These are the memories that made me a wealthy soul

Women have come, women have gone, Everyone trying to cage me.

Some were so sweet, I barely got free,Others, they only enraged me.
Sometimes at night, I see their faces,I feel the traces they've left on my soul.
Those are the memories that made me a wealthy soul,
I tell you, those are the memories that made me a wealthy soul.

Travelin' man, love when I can,Turn loose my hand 'cause I'm goin'.
Travelin' man, love when I can,But sooner or later I'm goin' on.
Travelin' man, travelin' man.

Travelin' Man by Bob Seger



Heading out to Nationals tomorrow in LA. Hard to believe this will be my fifth one.
Each one has been unique and different.
Hearing this song yesterday brought back memories from a Martial Artist and Man who I have the utmost respect for, Tyrone Johnson.
Tyrone and I have traveled and roomed together in many, many places and he has the most unique and endearing wisdom as well as stories.
If you meet him and have a half hour, just ask him about the traveler's walking stick made specifically for him by High Zulu medicine man Credo Mutwa in S. Africa when he was there.
Tyrone goes way back, heck he was on the Western Michigan University TKD competition team already in 1975. Btw, Shaykh Tanner was there at the same time.
We were sitting in a hotel room in London 2002 having one of those deep, existential, prefight nervous discussions that seem to occur when you're in unfamiliar surroundings. Tyrone always had a unique and wise take on competition too.
"Winning or loosing really doesn't matter. We both know within the first 30 seconds who really won and was better anyway. All I want to achieve is to do the best I can and make my teacher and school look good" And he always did both. And I've seen much younger guys who beat him not be able to look him in the eyes later.
I said "Tyrone, what are we doing here anyway then?"
"Memories Steve, we're building memories is what we're doing"
That about covers it :-)
God, I love that man. Named a combo after him last week too.
Only thing I'm really worried about is making Navadisha look good. I no longer have anything wrapped up in competition results.
Thanks for all the wisdom Tyrone

No comments: