My body has traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

surprise visitor



Saw this pretty guy at the feeder Sunday.
Not a normally significant event (it's not an Ivory Billed or anything).
But you'd think living on the edge of a large (for Michigan) forest, we'd see more woodpeckers.
Usually just the Downys but the more interesting ones stay away. I did see a Piliated once.
I can draw in Orioles and Grosbeaks, even flickers and bluebirds in the spring, but the more interesting woodpeckers stay away.
I think maybe this one was attracted to this dead standing pine I have yet to cut down (and now have an excuse not to).

1 comment:

Bobby said...

I keep a blog alert for ivory-bills, yours came up!

if interested, check out: ibwfound.blogspot.com for updates!