My body has traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved

Sunday, February 10, 2008

No workout today






Yet another winter storm.

I'm not really an old-timer but this has been one of the more quirky winter's I can remember.

Severe storm seems to hit on a weekly basis and dump more snow. Usually warms up in between but we've already broken the record for season snow tally this week. Not that I'm complaining mind you. More snow means more opportunity to ride the newest snowmobile (and that's turning out to be a nice exercise plan, I'm usually whupped later).

As for driving in the storms, well what a better season to have gotten the Hummer. I'm really pretty much not worried pulling out of the driveway.

Snow? What snow? Had to get the trailer out of the back field last week. Just lock it in 4 Hi and go. It's like there's not even really snow there.

The only frustration on the road is following the people who's vehicles are unprepared for winter or those who really shouldn't be driving either. Pulling away from a stop is so uneventful.

I even figure, hey if there's even a few cars on the road, a Hummer should be OK. Now Chuck gives me a reality check and says "4WD only means you're stuck that much farther from the tow truck" and I heartily agree. I'm no fool and don't drive beyond the limits of a vehicle. This one just seems to have higher limits. In fact, I'm usually one of the slower ones if the roads are icy. 4WD means nothing then, I get passed alot and will see alot of fools in the ditch.

Now along comes today. You can't see squat.

It was 37 degrees yesterday and today it ranges from -1 to 3 degrees all day.

Well hell, Nationals start Friday and Cole and I both need the practice and Mushtaq needs to do the final wrapping on my scabbard.

Went out early for gas to run the snowplow and it wasn't too bad. Driving 50-55 before I realized it. Just brief white outs lasting 2-3 seconds.


I guess things changed a bit between then and when we left for good a few hours later. Figured I'd have to drive a bit slower so the trip would take 60-70 minutes rather than 50.

Yeah. Made it about 6 miles before I hung up the cell phone on Randy. I couldn't even see 1-2 car lengths beyond mine. I had a hard time finding a spot to pull a U-turn and I new exactly where I was.

Driving an hour in that is just plain brain-dead zombie thinking. And here 5 hours later it hasn't let up either.

Stuck my camera out the wind on the way back and got these. This was about double the length of visibility I saw on the maid roads.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I started out with the same thought as you.A bit after 2 miles down the road it was fine all the way to Mushtaq's.

After arriving there we soon found out Mushtaq was still under the weather, so Mushtaq had Mariah go over her form and we timed it and polished.Did some stick drills.

We made it a short work out for her so Mushtaq could get somemore rest for our trip on Thursday!

70 deg. weather sounds good about now.....

steve-vh said...

I don't mind the weather, I really don't. What would become tedious would be having it cold, wet, and dirty slush. That gets old. The snow makes everything pretty.
You're right, 70 does sound good now that you mention it. Started packing yesterday, shorts was the first thing.

Steve Perry said...

You people are all insane. Might as well live at the North Pole and risk getting et by polar bears ...

Brrr ...

Steve Perry said...

P.S. Good luck at the Nationals.

steve-vh said...

Perhaps, but our feet are dry.

Thanks Steve!