My body has traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved

Monday, August 4, 2008

Trip Report

Even though we spent two hours there, this is all we got to see of Hong Kong. Why? Well apparently someone had a psychiatric episode over Canada. They assaulted someone and had to be restrained. FAA requires diverting to the nearest airport. Anchorage! (the airport looks like Seattle btw). So, no surprise we missed our connnection to Manila in HK. We got on another flight for later but had no way to tell Randy or our ride who would be waiting for us at the Airport in Manila. Much fretting over that but not much we could do.



So after roughly 25hrs of flying and driving around to different hotels we found our group (and our tickets to Cebu). We got around 45mins of sleep I think before getting right back up to fly to Cebu. Have I mentioned I detest flying? Most airport personel treat you as a moron who is probably up to something dishonest. Good grief, I just spent $1800 each!!! I will say almost all the ticketing agents were very pleasent to deal with (and I made sure to treat them well per Mushtaq's advice - and it paid off twice!). Cole was a very understanding verbal punching bag for my frustrations.


Manila at 3AM
Manila at 6AM
We met up with GrandMaster Bong Jornales and the rest of the school. Cole and I no longer train there but am indebted to Bong as he still considers us as part of his family and graciously included us with their group. A grand gesture I highly appreciate. Included in this group were his wife Wendy, Ted (who's been training with Bong around 14-15 yrs) and his wife Mary, Mathew and Joe Quintero and Randy Moore and that scrawny Escrimadora.

Headed to the Airport (again).




Cebu at last!
And then headed right to the pier for the 2hr boat ride to Bohol.
And yet another van ride to the river.
Nipa palm - The Filipino vinyl siding!
No, I don't look too perky. That's due to only 3hrs sleep in the last 48.
But THIS my friends, is where the real fun begins.................... It's all worth it!

No comments: