My body has traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Thanksgiving

Remember back in elementary school the teacher would have you go around the circle and drone on in front of class why you were thankful, ect, ect?
Yeah, we're not gonna do that.
But, since I have this blog, why not a bit here.

Friends

Yeah, friends are important to me and I'm very thankful for the good ones I have. Why? Because unlike relatives, you have to work at staying their friend (and vice versa).
Treat em like crap, don't stay in touch, borrow and don't return, hey, friends will tell you to piss off or just not keep in touch at all.
So, you have to work at the relationship. I've had friends for years that just seemed to stop responding. Well, I can't do all the work and maybe I was wrong.

So, the new one's I've made in the past year. This is not an exhaustive list, I don't spend a ton of time on this blog. Can't post daily like Bobbe.

Bobbe Edmonds - We've known each other but I got to see his smile (and those eyes -whoah) up close this year.
Terry Trahan - yeah we think alike in ways. You just know when you meet someone, there's that click
Cody Fielding - um, really can't put into words here. Thanks so much Cody.
Mike Blackgrave - I knew literally within 5 minutes of hearing Mike talk to someone we would be tight.
Chris, Gery and Boun at the dojo. The more I talk with them, the more I realize we're totally on the same page.

Folks I've known awhile and value their friendship

Dave Bennett Jr.- Living life large as an LEO in Vegas. So happy for you that's it's working out.
Dave Shepherd - My 2nd longest friend and first MA teacher. He needed a Hapkido uke and I wanted to learn TKD, hell anything. We were out of touch for awhile but recently hooked up again.
Paul Van Dort - My only childhood friend still in touch with. It was a rough year as we had to see each other when his father, a man I greatly admired and who had a strong influence on a young boy, died this year. It was at the funeral that I realized what an impact he really had on me.
John Bednarski - Your enthusiasm for life and MA can be exhausting, even for me!
The Moore's - Thanks for everything, really too much fun to summarize.
The Pippin's - for their friendship, counsel and the open door.
Bill Anderson - walking the walk and setting the example. I know he feels the same about friends.
Bill Bednarick - we've walked a lot of the same ground.
Tyrone Johnson - the most humble person I know and so much fun to travel with.
Guro Buzz Smith - known of Buzz for 20 years. But every time we get together he continues to exceed my expectations and be the man.
Mushtaq - Probably the best friend I've ever had and not on my terms either. Read somewhere that a friend should make you want to be a better person. That's an understatement. What you've done for/to me since we've met is immeasurable.
And yeah, my wife and children. It's been a tough year physically and emotionally and their love and support really made it happen. Especially when I didn't reciprocate.

3 comments:

Mike 'Bwana' Blackgrave said...

Great post Steve..I new off the bat when we met that we would be chums..but I do envy you one thing...you have seen Bobbes eyes..you lucky bastard...

"THESE EYES..duh..duh..duh..duh duh.."

steve-vh said...

And even lived to blog about it!

Terry said...

Thanks for the mention, Steve, it is mutual.
Can't wait to see you and everyone at the Spring Gathering!!
Happy Thanksgiving!