My body has traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved

Monday, November 12, 2007

Jamaica




Yeah, you're not gonna find one of these in the local knickknack shop.
Going through some old files and found this one.
Went to Jamaica a few years ago and wood carvings by the local artists are one of the things you can pick up. They're really quite skilled.
I caught one of the locals who seemed dignified and was given a certain amount of deference by the other carvers and asked him to come back in a few days with a stickfighter and struck a pose for him.
I was curious to see his artistic take on it.
Not what I anticipated but I'm rather pleased with it. Got a nice short machete and a pair of local hardwood sticks too.


1 comment:

Mike 'Bwana' Blackgrave said...

Man you better keep that thing out of your front yard...LOL