My body has traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved

Monday, May 12, 2008

Fatballs - Gastonomic sabotage

Sometimes it’s hard to fathom what our stomachs are able to digest.
Having rid myself of Microscopic Colitis (an un-purchased souvenir from the Philippines I believe) and still having some minor Irritable Bowel Syndrome, I’m usually more acutely aware of what’s going in there. Infact, the digestive system is an organ that you don’t feel doing it’s job. It’s surmised that part of the issue with IBS is that sufferers actually do feel the peristalsis.


One of the local treats during Tulip time is the Gut Wagons as locals call them. “Once a year can’t be bad for you, right?” is what you hear a lot.
I pretty well avoided them all week, cept for those two illicit corndogs on the way to the library Weds. No one knows so they don’t count, right?
Saturday Cole’s girlfriend had her final performance of Dutch Dancing so we went down to watch and caught some of the parade while we were there.
Dutch Dancing is a real treat for some folks as they do it to hokey music wearing wooden shoes. Little known fact is, the dances are completely made up. Not traditional at all.

So, of course I went all in and indulged.
The take for the day?


Large bucket of French fries – shared
Another Corndog – all mine
Metwurst with Kale and potatoes – mostly mine
Banket (almond stick) – lucky to get what I did from Roberta’s
Olliebollen (sm fried dough with soaked raisins) – mine
Currant bread with almond filling – mine
Large fatball with bavarian creme filling - shared
Pizza – shared
Large BBQ pork Sandwich – shared

Oh, and we stopped for an ice cream cone on the way home to top it off.
Amazing I wasn’t rolling on the floor in agony. Probably due to all the walking.

And Yesterday I had to go into town to the library again on the way home from Mushtaq’s.
Darn if there weren’t a few stands still open.
Yep, one more corn dog and some caramel Corn.
I’m good for another year.

Oh and Bobbe, I did sample some Gouda and Edam on your behalf. I know you really enjoy Dutch cheese vicariously through me. It’s OK, this stuff wasn’t very good.


But to bring things back on plane, on Friday I found a place in downtown GR that serves Sambal, Massaman Curry, Panang and summer rolls. The Sambal and Summer Rolls are excellent (at least for W. Michigan).

No comments: