My body has traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Winter Wonderland

Time was many years back, Michigan License plates called out "Winter Wonderland" in the late '60s.



Maybe due to Global warming or a general lack connection to the outdoors, people here seem to have forgotten that.

Made plans earlier this week with a few guys from work to load up our sleds and head north a few hours for some good sled riding.
After a few more days of heavy snow, we decided hey, why not just stay right here and go ride. I measured and we have 17" of packed down snow outside.
The local loop of the state snowmobile trail goes just a 1/2 past my house and people are routinely taking high speed shortcuts down our road.
Now, I've never done any real riding before. Mostly just around the yard.
With my shoulders still on the mend I was definitely very apprehensive but I said screw it, I'm tired of being worried. And I really appreciated the guys inviting me, they're serious riders.
Worked out for me well, we met at my house, unloaded and rode out right from here.

The group consensus was this was one of their best rides ever.


An encouraging start
On the crisp side but very clear with a bit of sun from time to time.
The trails weren't beaten up yet, trees were full of snow and there was nice base down. Even got to be the first ones to ride on a recently groomed section. A real nice mix of tight wooded trails and wide open farmlands. Really makes you appreciate the easements the farmers have granted nd the work it takes in setting and maitaining everything. Any alomost everyone you pass on the trail gives a hearty wave. Very nice to see.
When we left I was using a new helmet that hadn't been completely fitted up. As soon as we left my face shield iced up and seeing was a major problem.
Ever leave for work and not fully scrape or heat up your windshield? Now hit the trail on a rocket. These guys were like kids having been cooped up all winter and let it hang out as soon as they hit the trail. 40-50mph was the average speed for the first hour before we even stopped.
I certainly appreciated being asked to come along so I wasn't going to ask them to stop. Made for some nervous moments. Eventually we got the helmet figured out, chalked it up to a shakedown run and then got down to some serious riding.
We started North of Allegan and headed south towards Fennville. The trail follows the river from a high bluff at one point and was absolutely majestic. I'd have love to take more pictures but as I say these guys are serious riders, not sightseers. May have to go back and get that shot.
But from time to time, I was able to snap a few.



The trail was so great, the next thing we new we were already next to Timberidge ski slope. We weren't even sure at first. "Did we really go that far already?"So we hopped on the Kalhaven trail (marvelous trail) and rode all the way to Gobles to stop for lunch.
We then turned around and headed back, taking a different loop out east of Allegan and coming back in to Hamilton again. All told I think we did just over 120 miles.


Might not seem like much driving a car but we left at 9AM (and at the highest possible average speed) finally returning at 3:30. With only the short break for lunch almost all of that time was on the trail .
Fire up the wooden sled!

Open her up!


And as for my shoulders? Not a problem at all! Fortuitously, the riding position seems to line everything up physically and I could actually feel all the therapy work coming into play and paying off. Didn't even get tired or sore until maybe the final hour.


If I'm not careful, this could become a serious past time.




Assuming we get snow again.






No comments: