My body has traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Having your expectations adjusted

Sunday Mariah and I decided to end training by gearing up and doing a little free sparring. Now I haven't really sparred in 18months. Mariah and I sparred back in Sept but that was more controlled giving her an aggressive opponent to work new combos on at 70%. So that was all I had to go on as to where she is at.
Cole and I sparred last week but he hadn't sparred in about 18 mos either so that was a bad example to gauge Mariah by.
I admittedly made instructor mistake #1 when sparring, underestimating your opponent.
I went in light and easy planning to shake off the cobwebs, probably even subconsciously expected to play a little.

Then this happens (watch for the nice left hand trap/glove strip/counter). And Damn! she hits hard now.

The hoot in the background at the end is my student Chris, one of the top Commando Krav Maga instructors in the US.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know one of the signs of a great instuctor is when you can laugh and have fun with your students;)
One thing I seen after seeing this video was the mear inch's away from your hand as she still was hiting at you!
Great work out!

Randy

steve-vh said...

Yeah, I caught that too. I new where she was but yes it was close and I didn't realize the glove was off yet.
Did ya catch the impish grin to the camera too?