My body has traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Currently listening





So driving to work sucks, but not after you discover books on CD.


I started reading Terry Brooks novels sometime in the late 80's. I picked up the original Shannara Trilogy as one of my choices from one of those get the first 10books cheap and then quit deals. Little did I realize the worlds that opened to me.


I've since read everything Terry as written. I read Running With The Demon but then lost interest in that series after awhile eventually going back and enjoying the sequels even more than the first. Some books are like that if you trust in the author. Just not the right time in your life for that particular one.


Then in August 07 came for me the best written ever by Terry, Armageddon's Children. www.terrybrooks.net/greatwars/ac.html


Terry does the unexpected and ties together then end of all the original Shannara books and weaves together the world of the Word and the Void.


Armmegedon's Children takes place after the "Great Wars" hinted at by the last of the Shannara books. The setting of a post apocalypse world where demons are beginning to wrest control is devastating and disheartening. Terry Brooks does a masterful job telling the stories of the "ghosts", Children struggling in this landscape.


Now comes the 2nd in this series, The elves of Cintra. Brooks ties together both series and offers a glimpse of hope for the future.


If you love Scifi or Fantasy, pickup both of these and get them on audio!


2 comments:

Chuck said...

Good to see you in the Blogoshpere Steve. :-)

As you well know, I am a huge proponent of Audiobooks...haven't read any of the Shanara series, but am interested now.

...nothing better to keep me awake on my hour long drive to work...

Chuck

Jay said...

Steve-
Cool stories on tape aside. welcome to the blogs!
So...fill us in on the system will ya?
Also, can you give some background on the symbol at the top.
Take care,
Jay