My body has traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Two things

Two things I've seen alot of over the past two weeks;
The top of the pine trees outside my bedroom window (as that's all I could see from my back) and cable TV.
Most specifically just a few channels. Spike, Travel Channel and the History Channel.
Caught up on a lot of old CSI episodes. Always liked the show but never really had the time to sit through an entire episode (you can't pause and come back to CSI, just doesn't work).
Having a digital recorder helped too. I am loath to watch commercials and even though I found two new shows I excited about, they advertised them so much I'm almost not interested anymore. That and oh jeez, there's a bloody trade school somewhere for just about everything now. Marine mechanic, Harley Davidson mechanic........ Oh, and they're really pushing online diplomas too.
So, what are the two new shows?

#1 Dhani Jones Tackles the Globe. I saw most of the first episode (Switzerland) through the fog of pain and it was pretty good. Enough to make me finally sit up (which was a real fun fest of pain). I've seen Thailand and UK too now.
The premise is the best way to get to know a culture is to play the games they play.
Dhani is a current NFL linebacker and a pretty affable guy. He comes across a bit arrogant in the commercials but really that's just PR. He's a competitive guy so there's a bit of trash talk but he takes the sports very seriously and genuinely tries very hard to make a personal connection with everyone he meets. He tries everything they throw at him and jumps in like a big kid with enthusiasm.
http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/Dhani_Jones
http://www.travelchannel.com/Video_&_Photos/Video_Detail?lineupId=16472425001


#2 Deadliest Warrior. Haven't seen this one yet but they've made sure I know it premieres on Tuesday on Spike. First episode is Apache vs. Gladiator




It's a safe bet they won't use the Real Deadliest Warrior, the Moro and his Kris/Barong, but it could turn out to be a good start, at least they have the Apache. How the Moro prevails probably isn't sensational enough for their angle anyway. Ah, what can you do?

The new season of Bizarre Foods starts April 14 with Tanzania too.
http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/Bizarre_Foods/ci.Tanzania.show?vgnextfmt=show
Are you listening Mushtaq?

1 comment:

Steve Perry said...

I dunno if you get TNT, but if so, check out Saving Grace. Holly Hunter does the best bad girl on TV.