My body has traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Astig Lameco - Roger Agbulos

Got off the phone with my good friend Roger Agbulos in LA last night and realized I’ve been remiss in never writing about Roger here.
I did post a pic back in Feb after nationals when he hosted us at his house but he really deserves more. http://pokingthetiger.blogspot.com/2008/02/and-hits-keep-rolling.html

Roger is original student of the late Edgar Sulite. Roger was part of Edgar’s private backyard group of students referred to as Lameco Orihinal.
You’ll probably never hear it from Roger but from what I can gather he was one of the main fighters in Edgar’s group.

Roger’s done a lot of things since Edgar’s sad passing and has turned into a fantastic teacher who eventually named what he evolved into as Astig Lameco.

I met Roger back several years ago when I was trying to find out about some Bakbakan tournaments, might have been 2005, I’m not sure.
It’s just one of those things, we see eye to eye on a lot of important topics and any that we don’t really aren’t important.
When I was getting into the smakstick blade sparring Roger was the one who provided me with a lot of guidance and a goodly portion of the theories and techniques we use for it can be directly attributed to him.
So, a good portion of Cole’s success belongs to Roger as well.

Roger’s got a few clips up on Youtube now so take a look or google him. He's in several FMA books including Master's of the Blade by Rey Galang as well as holding seminars consistently up and down the west coast.


Here's a few more I couldn't get to embed
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-978143625006458418&pr=goog-sl
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7478401108309964557&hl=en


If he comes in your area for a seminar, or if you’re looking to bring someone in, hook up.
You will get more than your money’s worth.
Besides being a great practitioner of FMA and a really nice guy, he’s hilarious.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post for a Guy that is was so very feindly and thanks to him and his wife for having us at there home back in feb. It will be one of those short monents in time that make a long lasting impression.
I mostly like the hand striking drills!
I'll 2nd your last comment''Besides being a great practitioner of FMA and a really nice guy, he’s hilarious. ''

Randy

Dragan Milojevic said...

Roger is a true gem, and it is wonderful to see someone giving him the exposure he deserves!