My body has traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved

Friday, November 21, 2008

Pins and needles

Well, mostly needles.


It's been 18months now since the shoulder surgery and things continue to progress. Certainly not at the rate I would prefer but as Cody has taught me, only measure where you're at now based on where you were say 3 months ago (and it's a safe conclusion you will be just as improved in 3 more months). Not where you want to be, that will just get you frustrated.


I still have alot of problems and pain but we're moving forward most days.
One problem I have been having is that many of my muscles have developed a memory based on imbalances and excessive work they have had to individually do.




Due to poor shoulder stability occurring from poor genetics and years of heavy repetitive lifting(followed by years of hard training), my deltoids are to put it in layman's terms, frazzled.


As I work to resolve the strength imbalances and such, they want to go back to their old tendencies and do all the work.


What results is very sore tendons, tendinitis and muscles that are on all the time. Massage helps but it really doesn't bring resolution.


What I came to realize is, much like Bobbe's PC, they needed a reboot. A chance to reset and start over with where things are at now.


Consistent with Mushtaq's philosophy of the Universe giving you what you need only just when you need it, I hit on the idea of acupuncture right about the time he found out that a yoga student of his was a professional acupuncturist. AND she comes to my town once a week.


Can't pass up a convergence of meridian lines like that.





It's been a week now since my session and I have nothing but great things to say about it. My stress level has been down. My mood has been much improved. And my pain level has been reduced by about 70%. I can now look over my left shoulder to a degree I haven't been able to in I've lost track of how many years. I could immediately feel the release of tension in all my shoulder muscles as if I had been given a strong muscle relaxant. Yet I haven't felt this physically alert in a very long time. For those who believe in the concept of Chi, I can really feel it flowing at times and realize that that was a major symptom of the problems I was experiencing. Looking back I can see how blocked a lot of the flow was.


I can say that she is an extremely competent practitioner and Mushtaq would agree as she's worked wonders on him as well. I'm actually starting to feel spunky and ready to spar again, which is good because with his new eyes, so is Mushtaq.



If you have the avenue open to you, I highly recommend it.





No comments: