My body has traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Frog under glass


Been some interesting weather here lately. One day all the way up to 53, melting most of the snow on New Years Eve (figures, the snowmobile trails open on Jan 1).
Then the next day dropped down to 22 degrees. 31 degree drop in less than 24 hours.

Made for some interesting formations on the surface of my koi pond caused by the pump I leave running to keep the surface open and gasses to escape.





But unfortunately for the frogs, I don't keep all of them open. The small ones out front I leave as much vegetation as possible in if they decide to hibernate there. The surface melted and then refroze leaving a clear view quite a way down.


Unfortunately, they either didn't go deep enough or it froze solid.


That's a clear block of ice there.












How many did you count? I got up to nine and some were quite large but not in a state of suspended animation unfortunately. I'm betting there are more farther down.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's to bad, if you want more I was seeing ton's of tad poles the size of my finger nails up until late late fall. I'm sure we will have a bumper crop of them again come spring in our pond out back.
One nice thing with the thaw and refreeze the pond makes a great skating rink for my son.

Snaggles said...

The only rational thing to do is reanimate them. Slowly bring their body temperature back up to room temperature with a hot water bottle, then run a mild current through them.

Best case: life
Worst case: zombie frogs.

steve-vh said...

Blake, some might say you have the results reversed *g*