My body has traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

This is Kuntau

I promised Buzz a while back I'd post this.

Some of you know how GM lito Lanada has done some strange things over the years and "excomunicated" Buzz and Bill Anderson from his Kuntau organization (and I use the Kuntau spelling intentionally, I don't need the rabid Sheeple finding this on a google). And yet, if you go to their official site you'll still see them listed as some of the original 5th and 6th degree black belts. But now he doesn't recognize them. I saw it written recently by Maurice Gatdula "
i once heard that lito lanada does not "recognize" my kuntaw? oh yeah? well i dont recognize his either! but some shorin ryu people in okinawa might" Well said. Certain people have decided to take up the standard un-requested and take every opportunity to slander Buzz's Kuntaw. Whatever. Skill is skill, you can't recind earned ability.

So, why am I posting this? Back in '06 Bill and I were at John Bednarski's Pacific Island tourney. During the forms competition Bill whispers "My foot's getting jumpy, Steve. I'm gonna do a form". Proceeds to jump up cold, wonky knees and all and whips out an old Kuntau form he hadn't done in at least 10 yrs. It's not from Lanada, actually predates Bill's long past involvement with Lanada, when he was actually training in Taiwan. But I thought it was a nice trip back in time to what Kuntau was before Karate had it's influence.

Oh yeah, then he proceeded to again jump up cold, hand me his carry knives, grab my helmet and fight a much younger Dolph in the open heavyweight division of the padded stick. Gave Dolph a serious run for the money too.

I hope I can some day still walk the walk at that age (not that it's really that far off Bill).

2 comments:

Buzz Smith said...

They have since removed my name and Bill's from the list. Doesn't matter, I have done what I have done without their support or acknowledgement. I was once told by Guro Dan Inosanto rank is not important, it is what skill you bring to the table. I have been bad mouthed by the Lanada people for so long, yet they continue to use my pictures to promote the art. Oh well,

I am glad that you and others have acknowledged what Bill and I have tried to do over the years and I am gonna keep on keepin on.

Thanks
Buzz

steve-vh said...

So they have. It was just there still a month ago. You're finally free of the stench of association.